Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:30:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35604: arp(4) page mentions 10Mb/s but not 100Mb/s.

The following reply was made to PR docs/35604; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 04 Apr 2002 11:29:54 -0800

 Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org> writes:

 > Howdy,
 >
 > Mark Tinguely tells me that ARP works for all speeds of Ethernet.  The
 > patch below reflects that.

 [new version:]
 >   The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) is a protocol used to dynamically
 > +map between Internet host addresses and Ethernet addresses.
 > +It is used by all the Ethernet interface drivers.
 > +It is not specific to Internet protocols or to Ethernet,
 >   but this implementation currently supports only that combination.

 That last sentence seems wrong in light of the first two.  I'm no
 expert, but I thought ARP was precisely specific to Ethernet.
 If that's correct, there's no "combination" left, and maybe the whole
 sentence is unneeded.  It's not clear what the leftover would be trying
 to say.  That ARP doesn't need to use Internet Protocol, but this
 implementation does?  ??  It should be cleared up or cleared out.