Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:49:59 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for another category in INDEX: common_deps

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:01:30 -0700
Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> FWIW, the -r option for portmaster only rebuilds those ports that
> depend directly on the new version, not things that depend on the
> things that depend on it.

When portmanager was changed to work this way it seemed sensible. I've
become a bit sceptical about it since I saw a post in this list that
went something like: X always depends on A, B and C, so don't bother
having your port depend on these if it depends on X. I wonder how many
direct dependencies are omitted in this way.