Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:50:13 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question for SMP

Hi,

> Hi, I have been running SMP for about 1 month now, and I have a general
> question.  I have noticed that certain programs, like mpg123 and netscape
> to be precise, only seem to run on CPU1 according to top.  When I am in X,
> I have about 6 xterms open, netscape, and an mpg123 playing, and they both
> seem to stick to CPU1 while top moves between CPU0 and CPU1.  Is this
> because CPU0 is the only one that can service interrupts?  Or am I missing
> something?

I just discovered that CPU0 was the only on handling "mixed-mode" INTs,
ie those from the timer when redirected by "options SMP_TIMER_NC", but
otherwise they are handled by both CPUs.  I just observed top with
netscape running, it mostly uses CPU1, but sometimes uses CPU0.  There may be
some pattern where INTs are first sent to CPU0 if available, that stuff
still needs alot of work.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by