Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:00:38 -0500
From:      John Sconiers <John_Sconieres@ama-assn.org>
To:        John_Sconieres@ama-assn.org, jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Metro-X -vs Accelerated-X

Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II

>>> "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu> 10/13 2:36 PM >>>
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, John Sconiers wrote:

>I am thinking of investing in a commercial x-windows display server.
>Has anyone tried out Metro-x and accelerated-x and how do they stack up
>against each other.  Is it even worth buying a commercial x-server or
>should I stay with Xfree86.

The only reason I can think of to use commercial X is to get support for a
new video card or to get multiheaded servers. There are accelerated
servers in XFree86.

OBTW, Multiheading will be coming to XFree86 with version 4.0.

I was told the commercial X servers would be faster with better display.

Catchya Later,  | UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells  | http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !