Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:39:00 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.1 -- i810e video woes

Hi everyone,

I've done my reading on the lists and the handbook but
am going absolutely no where in my attempts to configure
an Intel i810e video chipset to work with XFree86. I'm
running 4.3-RELEASE at the moment.  Here's the step-by-
step things I've done with error messages.

added device agp to a custom kernel (suggestion from list archives):

	# grep agp /sys/i386/conf/CANAAN
	device    agp

loaded the agpgart module (suggestion from list archives):

	# kldstat
	Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 	1    4 0xc0100000 26140c   kernel
 	2    1 0xc0362000 9cc0     agp.ko
 	3    1 0xc0fdc000 2000     warp_saver.ko
 	4    1 0xc0fdf000 12000    linux.ko

made the agpgart device (suggestion from the handbook)

	# cd /dev
	# sh MAKEDEV agpgart
	# ls -l agp*
	crw-------  1 operator  wheel  148,   0 Jul 16 08:11 agpgart

Attempting to configure XFree86 (handbook):

	# XFree86 -configure

	<snip>
	lots of: "Symbol ______ from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/_____ unresolved" messages

	Fatal server error:
	Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

It did make me a XF86Config.new file, however.
In it, I made sure the following was set..

            Section "Device"
                Identifier "Intel i810"
                Driver     "i810"
            EndSection

In accordance with the README.i810

So, I try to test it despite the core dump and X reports fewer
errors this time:

	Symbol fbPictureInit from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!
	Symbol XAAFillSolidRects from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!
	Symbol XAAFillSolidRects from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!

	Fatal server error:
	Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

And this is as close as I can get to X11 running on this box :(
Many thanks for your patience and help.

--
Regards,
Doug