Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:46:15 -0800
From:      Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        perry@piermont.com, hackers@freebsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to name fs specific programs

On "Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:15:48 MST.",
Terry Lambert writes:

>I *don't* want to name if "ffs_mount"; I want to name it "ffs/mount".

It seems this side of the house just sincerely doesn't understand the
sublime difference which that three-bit difference clearly makes for you.

Terry, on the off-chance you haven't noticed yet from the particpant's
names: this thread is taking place on both hackers@freebsd.org and
port-i386@netbsd.org.  Those of us from the NetBSD side of the
house  haven't seen any of the conversation you cite. We don't
have any of the relevant context.

The reasons you've offered so far have all been couched in your own
private terminology. To those of us handicapped by lack of context,
all the ``reasons'' you offer are indistinguishable from technobabble.
(Not to say that's all they are; simply that we can't tell the difference,
because we've never seen the words you use, used quite that way before.)

I really haven't followed the debate so far, because it looks too much
like nothing more than a big-endian vs. little-endian religious war.
That alone means some of us won't *ever* be sufficiently motivated to
understand the reasons that lie behind your preferences, unless perhaps
we encounter the same issues ourselves.

To us heathens, your preference really *is* just a three-bit difference.

Can we let this one slide, while there's still some chance an outside
observer would think we still count as members of an intelligent species?