Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:12:02 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the value of salary of a developer that is paid to program FreeBSD?

--DwTnlmLpEGE6BwtALH2k6UQ5DjrGgHDAl
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: What is the value of salary of a developer that is paid to
 program FreeBSD?

--UurvxQ3546wtBRlriALdx8UQMvEKqt5pu

On 2016/12/12 16:17, SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 wrote:
> Probably I will be a future FreeBSD developer.
>=20
> What is the value of salary of a developer that is paid to program Free=
BSD?

That depends exactly what you're working on and for whom.  If you
managed to get a job with Netflix or Isilon or Juniper or a similar
company that makes heavy usage of FreeBSD, you could expect to be pretty
well paid.  You would have to be a good developer with an established
track-record to land such a job though.

On the other hand, you could be a graduate student in Comp. Sci. writing
your thesis on some stunning technical work done under FreeBSD.  In
which case, don't expect to be paid very much at all for that.

Commercial jobs in FreeBSD are a specialized field, and tend to be paid
accordingly well.  The downside is they are a specialized field, so a)
you have to be pretty good to make it in this area and b) there is no
guarantee there will be jobs readily available when you want one, or
even in any location handy for you.

	Cheers,

	Matthew