Date:      16 Nov 1997 18:51:13 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC / SCSI UPDATE

"Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com> writes:
> Here's a little info about what we (Ken Merry and myself) have determined
> about the problem so far.
>
> System:
>        P6-233 256k cache
>        2940UW (SCSI ID 7)
>        1 X PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-4XCS 1.04 (SCSI ID 4)
>        2 X QUANTUM XP34550W LXY4 (SCSI IDs 0 and 1)
>
> How to repeat:
>        run concurrent I/O to all 3 devices at the same time.
>
> Symptom:
>        After a varying period of time, disk 0 or 1 stops performing
>        reselections for it's outstanding I/O.  This eventually results
>        in a timeout, usually with the controller in an "idle" state.

If you're ever bored :) you might want to chew on this one:

System:
       P5-150, 512 kB L2 cache, 128 MB EDO RAM, FreeBSD 2.2.1R
       2940UW (SCSI ID 7)
        - TOSHIBA 5701TA (SCSI ID 4)
        - QUANTUM XP34550W (SCSI ID 1)
        - CONNER CFP1080S (SCSI ID 0)
       2940 (SCSI ID 7)
        - OLYMPUS MOS330 (SCSI ID 6)

How to repeat:
       run concurrent I/O to XP34450W and MOS330 at the same time.

Symptom:
       With heavy disk activity on both the OD and the harddisk,
       random lockups occur. Just copying data from OD to harddisk
       to (or the reverse) works fine, but the machine freezes solid
       after a while if you put more load on the harddisk.

       Similar symptoms with all units connected to 2940. Similar
       symptoms with 5701TA and/or CFP1080S absent from system.

If you want more details, mail me :)

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"