Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2020 04:00:18 -0700
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

On 17 Feb 2020, at 20:23, Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:
> Why so short End-Of-Life? Why so many fast and short releases? What =
for?

This was vcovered a few years ago (well, =E2=80=9Cfew=E2=80=9D when the =
new timelines were being discussed.

> What was wrong with having one well tested stable system for a long =
time?

The need to ensure systems are running secure software and are not =
trivially exploitable.

> FreeBSD does not seem to be reliable desktop environment

True for ever non-Apple Unix variant. Most (that is to say nearly all) =
FreeBSD installs are non0desktop servers.

--=20
I WILL NOT CARVE GODS Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F11