Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:47:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        safe user <ecsd@ecsd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xpdf and the wholesale destruction of X-Windows

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, safe user wrote:

> Let me clarify, then.
>
> I do a "make clean" in xpdf, and it does a clean in X11.6 also.
> Did it kill X itself? No. But for whatever reason, suddenly
> the following commands failed with "ld.so: can't locate xxxx.so.n.mm"
> messages:

Dear safe user, the reason he gave you that response is because no one
else has had that experience.

Is your X stuff in /usr/X11R6?  Did libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib disappear?
This would mean, generally, that something is *tremendously* broken in
your entire installation, which is the reason that we're maybe wondering
if it was only a head-space problem.  See?

What's this "X11.6" thing you're talking about, please give the entire
pathname, ok?

> xv
> identify (ImageMagick)
> gimp
>
> basically, anything using a shared library (libjpeg, etc.)
>
> The installation was 3.2-RELEASE, I never asked for a.out style
> anything. xpdf complained about not being able to find, I think,
> libXpm.so.4.11 and that's when I tried to reinstall xpdf. Doing a
> make clean in xpdf broke xv, et. al. with similar "ld.so can't find"
> messages. Remember, the ports were installed as packages at the same
> time the release was installed. If the packages were a.out, well, throw
> me down a hole or something. (e.g. blame the victim, go ahead.)
>
> I made enough space to reinstall X, did so, and the problems went
> away.
>
> Proof? Not enough time to generate proof. If it rings anyone's
> mental bells what I'm talking about, good. If I'm right the make clean
> is unwarrantedly overzealous, then the bell-rung person can maybe
> patch that up.
>
> As far as making a comparison to Microsoft, well, that's the best way
> to piss people off and make them take notice. May FreeBSD cover the
> Earth ... that's why I get irritable if things are gratuitously busted.
> (c) ecsd 1999 - The International Standard for Poor Programming
> Practice (SUXIX?) is embodied in the methodologies used at Microsoft.
> Let's all give Microsoft a hand for establishing such a valuable
> benchmark.
> Let Microsoft = 1.0, then measure the goodness of your code in relation
> to that - e.g. Solaris = 8.0, Linux = 9.0, FreeBSD = 10.0. Satisfied?
>
> -ecsd

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)