Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:03:52 -0500
From:      davide+freebsd@cs.cmu.edu
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad install can't find ep(4) driver

> > Is it possible that this "compression" includes removing the
> > ep driver?

> Nope. It's on there.

How could I verify that?  Why would it not show up in UserConfig
along with the drivers for other network hardware (which I *don't*
have)?

According to
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-start.html
I should expect driver conflicts when I enter UserConfig because
"all the drivers are enabled, and as has already been explained,
some of them will conflict with one another".  Indeed all the
network devices I don't have are enabled and conflict with each
other (and the PCMCIA slot controller, I think it is pcic0).

> Are you getting asked about whether you want to use PCCARD devices
> for installation media right after the kernel boots?

Yes.

> How are you configuring things there?

It thinks for a moment or two and then starts asking me various
configuration questions--disk partitioning, how to divvy up the
FreeBSD partition, what I want to install--it does not give me a
chance to enter IP addresses, gateway, etc.

What would be the best diagnostic information I could provide
(hopefully without typing in the entire boot sequence output)?

How could I make sure the installation kernel contains the ep driver?

Dave Eckhardt