Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2011 04:30:26 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Valentin Bud <valentin.bud@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ZFS system

On 25 Jun 2011, at 16:39, Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> wrote:

> Op 23-6-2011 9:35 schreef Valentin Bud:
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl <mailto=
:dick@nagual.nl>> wrote:
>>=20
>>    OK, it works very well. Installing a ZFS FreeBSD system with an
>>    ufs /boot is very very easy using the PC-BSD DVD.
>>    However, I have one question:
>>=20
>>    I'd like to install FreeBSD (pcbsd) on a (zfs) mirror
>>    In OpenSolaris you can install directly to the zfs mirror, but
>>    how's this in this situation> After all, an UFS partitin is also
>>    created. How can I get the equivalent of an OpenSolaris mirrored
>>    install for a FreeBSD system?
>>=20
>>    Hope I phrased the question clearly enough.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Hello Community,
>>=20
>> Like others said in their answer to your question, you don't have to put /=
boot on UFS, just go with root on ZFS.
>> If you would like speed when installing the system I recommend mfsBSD - h=
ttp://mfsbsd.vx.sk/. As pointed out
>> in the web page there is a script (zfsinstall) that does all the work for=
 you. It does all the steps described in the
>> wiki - http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror.
>>=20
>> If you want to gain knowledge about the process of installing FreeBSD wit=
h root on ZFS then go with the wiki
>> article. Using mfsBSD I install a 8.2-STABLE custom system in under 5 sec=
onds. That's pretty neat :).
> OK, I tried mfsbsd. I had the iso loaded at ata1 master and freebsd-8.2-dv=
d as ata1 slave.
> I booted my VM; mfsbsd came up fine. I mounted my fbsd dvd drive on /cdrom=
 and tried to run the zfsinstall script. Alas, it refuses.. It can't find th=
e (needed!) 8.2-RELEASE.???tgz file It does not exist. There is only a direc=
tory 8.2-RELEASE (on DVD as well as on CDROM ). Question: is this a bug in z=
fsinstall script?