Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2012 06:59:52 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <kernel@webrz.net>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PICO port

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 11:45:41 +0200
Jos Chrispijn <kernel@webrz.net> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks, I guess I should take more attention on these critical
> changes K-)
>
> regards,
> Jos Chrispijn
>
> Matthew Seaman:
> > On 01/04/2012 10:25, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> >>   I have been out of FreeBSD some time, but when installing BSD9 I
> >> can't locate pico anymore. What I did is:
> >> - portsnap fetch
> >> - portsnap extract
> >> - portsnap update
> >>
> >> but pico seems to be completely gone?
> >> Who can tell me what I oversee here?
> > Use editors/pico-alpine instead.
> >
> > MOVED says:
> >
> > editors/pico|editors/pico-alpine|2008-09-01|No further development
> > for pine, alpine has more features and is config-compatible
> >
> > Essentially the Pine project got reorganised, re-released under new
> > licensing terms and renamed to Alpine.  Hence the name change of the
> > pico port.
> >
> > 	Cheers,
> >
> > 	Matthew

There's also editors/nano and editors/nano-devel, described in the
Makefile's COMMENT as:

Nano's ANOther editor, an enhanced free Pico clone

It's virtually identical to pico, but with a few enhancements, such as
the ability to set tab stops, which I like *very* much when editing
shell scripts, C and other source code files (that is, when I'm not
using an IDE such as kdevelop or whatever).  It's become my *de facto*
replacement for pico, which I used for years.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net