Date:      08 Nov 2000 00:17:40 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is sockstat broken in -stable?

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> writes:
> Changing the width of the netstat match to 16 helps a little, but
> because of the fstat problem, its not enough.  This could probably
> be patched up by stream-editing netstat's output so as to chop off the
> high 8 fields of addresses coming from netstat. Dag?

Dag-Erling, please (or DES if you're lazy)

This is indeed a 64-bit issue, and the "correct" behaviour is not
immediately obvious - some will say the correct behaviour is to print
the complete pcb address, while others will insist on keeping the
output shorter than 80 columns no matter what we have to truncate (at
least, that's the reason I was given for truncating the port number in
netstat output)

One possible solution is to argue that since pcbs are in kernel space,
and, since the kvm is smaller than 4GB, the last 32 bits of the pcb
address are sufficient to uniquely identify the pcb, so the sockstat
can strip everything except the leading 0x and the last eight hex
digits before doing the comparison. The only caveat is that it's
technically possible to increase the kvm size beyond 4GB, so this
assumption might break one sunny day.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org