From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another go at bandwidth delay product pipeline limiting for TCP

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Note that this is a transmitter-side solution, not a receiver-side
>     solution.  This will not help your typing if you are downloading a
>     lot of stuff and the remote end builds up a lot of packets on your
>     ISP's router.  Theoretically we should be able to also restrict the
>     window we advertise but that is a much more difficult problem.

It's not too hard actually.  Random early drop should be
enough for incoming packets, just artificially restrict
the bandwidth to something like 90% of your maximum
download bandwidth and drop packets that come in too
fast.

This will cause tcp to slow down to the speed limit you've
chosen and the ISP queue will never fill up.

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/