Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:38:50 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com
Cc:        Marc Nicholas <marc@netstor.com>, "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature

> Marc Nicholas wrote:
> >
> > You're referring to the temps reported via an LM78 or similar, yes?
> The machines bios with Winbond W83782d IC
>
> > not reporting that the machine is actually getting HOTTER under FreeBSD?
>
> It is HOTTER under FreeBSD. Immediatelly upon boot-up it's 26F
> hotter under FreeBSD than under Linux.

That's fairly hard to believe, unless your system has zero thermal
inertia.  I'd have an easier time suggesting that your reporting software
has been broken.  I'm also curious as to how you're talking to the BIOS
to obtain these temperature values.

> Sometime after 3.4-RC and
> now this started. (I follow the stable branch via CVSup) Under
> 3.3-STABLE the temerature was always the same as Linux...cool averaging
> 89F for the CPU's. Now it's over 113F under FreeBSD only. I know it's
> wierd but the machine does not lie. Under Linux it's the same as before
> 87-89F.

You can't claim "the machine does not lie" without substantiating
evidence.  I'd want an external thermometer at the very least.

However, since you're the only one reporting this, you could do us all a
great service by taking a few minutes off to perform a binary search to
narrow down the date at which this purported change might have occurred.
You can trivially easily check out kernels and build them to see what
effect running them has on your operating temperature.

You haven't by some chance just recently started running eg. the SETI
@home client, or one of the distributed.net clients by any chance?