Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:43:03 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: staroffice install

Thus spake John Daniels (jmd526@hotmail.com):

> First, I didn't "install under X" the first time (was that a mistake?).  I
> run KDE.  I assume that "install under X" means to run in a terminal (are

Yes, that's the same. KDE is only a program (a Desktop) running
_under_ X. (X is the graphical system/interface all programs with
graphics use).

> KDE terminals and Xterminals the same?  I assume so.)  Was it wrong for me

Yes.
You hae to install X under a terminal.
be sure the DISPLAY variable is set, try typing "echo $DISPLAY":

alex:~ $ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

if this is the case, you're intalling under X. if not, and you're
using it from a terminal, you should type "export DISPLAY=:0.0"

> Do I need to a) make install as root (redoing the installation, but using a
> terminal) or b) do I need to make install (again) under a user account

yes, as root, in a terminal.

after that, you have to install-user the thing as the user who wants
to use staroffice. for me that's alex. I ma(k)de install-user as alex,
and not as root.

You have to do that for every account who wants to use staroffice,
even root (but you really shouldn't use staroffice as root)

If staroffice is already installed (don't think so), try make
deinstall and start from scratch.

a) make install as user root in a terminal
b) make install-user as the user in a terminal

Alex

--
I need a new ~/.sig.