Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:42:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
Subject:   Please bring me up to date.

	I have been out of touch with the FreeBSD project for a while, and I am
	a little confused by the current state of affairs. Let me describe my
	situtation.

	I have 3 machines runing FreeBSD. 1 (koala) is my gateway to the worls,
	and _MUSR NOT_ get mucked up (that's why it' FreeBSD :-)). The second
	(brown) is my new work laptop. The 3 (polar) is my old work laptop.

	koala is an HP Vectra P90. It has a Gus PnP sound card in it, and was
	origianly installed at about 2.1. It has booteasy on it (no good
	reason, just lack of knowledge at the time). It's using NAT and 2
	ehternet cards (cablemodem and local network) as well as a ppp
	conection to a local ISP.

	brwon is an HP 7100 Omnibook. It is triple boot FreeBSD. NT, and Win95.
	It requires the Xo X server, since it's chipset is not supporeted in
	Xfree86 (yet). It was recently installed fresh from the 3.0 CD.

	polar is a Toshiba 500CDT. It requires the PAO patches, and was
	originaly installed around 2.2.5 (I think). I has bee updated via cvsup
	to 2.2-STABLE of a couple of months ago.

	I would like to get all 3 of these up to 3.1-STABLE. What CVSUP tag
	should I use? Are there any issues vis a vi a.out versus ELF? Is the
	Gus PnP supported in 3.1-STABLE without patches? Arethe PAO patches
	merged inot 3.1-STABLE. Do I have nay bootloaderconcerns?

	I would appreciate any feedback on this that you might have. I cannot
	tolerate a major disaster on the atweay machine, or the mew work
	laptop, and I desire to understand whats going on here, beforeI get
	myself in a world of trouble.

	Thanks for the expertise here.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    843-745-3154