Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 07:34:13 +0000 ()
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
To:        AdNET Technical Grp <tech@adn.edu.ph>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC to FreeBSD PPP Connection (fwd)

Regarding your problem with the mac ppp...

1) I use the pppd (kernel) ppp in my FreeBSD.
2) Try to disable both chap/pap (authentication...) from the mac side.
3) you can "talk" whith the serial link ex: entering on the bsd by a dumb
terminal emulator on the mac, You should get the login prompt and be able
to enter a valid login.
4) Make shure you have a handshake protocol setted up OK. that is,
hardware hand shake. To test it, enter the dumb terminal mode, login into
the BSD, and do a cat /etc/termcap. The screen should not "scambrle"
(sorry for my english).
5) setup pppd in /etc/ppp/options like this:
crtscts
mtu 296
6) and if it is a modem,
modem
7) at the user prompt (sh or bash) enter:
	/usr/sbin/pppd passive xx.xx.xx:yy.yy.yy
	where xx.xx.xx.xx and yy.yy.yy.yy are the ip addres of the bsd and
	the mac.
8)  Make shure the nets xx and yy are not on the same network.
	ex: 200.10.22.1 for xx and 200.10.21.12 for yy and netmask 0xffffff00
        or: 200.10.22.1 for xx and 200.10.22.17 for yy and netmask 0xfffffff0
9)  Once the command pppd is started, you have 30 seconds to stablish the
	other ppp end connection.
10) Setup the mac ppp as to accept all the options BSD sends.

Should work, Hope this will help.

Sergio Lenzi.

Unix consult.