Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:46:40 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tulip device driver question

"David E. Cross" wrote:

> I am modifying the tulip device driver to support this xircom card.  I have it
> almost entirely working, *except* that it goes into infinite re-neogitiate
> loops.  The card probes correctly at bootup, but any attempt to change
> information via ifconfig ("ifconfig de0 inet ..." and "ifconfig de0 up",
> and "ifconfig de0 media 10baseTX" will all do it)  results in it probing,
> then resetting, then probing again. over and over in an infinite loop.
> Ideas?

Is this a real tulip, or one of the recent clones?  Bill Paul has written a
number of drivers for various near clones of the Tulip, none of which work
quite like the Tulip (of course).

See, for instance, the al, ax, mx, pn, vr, and wb drivers.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com