Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:45:29 -0400
From:      "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        "Max Clark" <max.clark@media.net>, "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How do I max a 6Mbps link

>Let me give a little more detail. This is a 6Mbps internet link that
>traverses the atlantic and 25 router hops. "out of the box" I can only
>sustain 170KBps. We are currently evaluating a REALLY expensive commercial
>solution, but I would rather know I was going to be paid than spend $50K per
>link.
>
>What can I do to help freebsd saturate this link?

My initial guess would be that you don't have a 6mbps dedicated pipe across the
atlantic and that your packets are competing for bandwidth, thus the reduced
actual throughput.

If you put the boxes side by side, they could easily max a 6mbps link, as such
the problem exists on the network (or the WAN link for that matter).  Check to
see if you have 6mbps dedicated, not only at both ends, but through all the hops
in between.

Dave