Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:23:46 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: src upgrade 4.0-RELEASE to 4-STABLE fails on make installworld...

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:34:03PM -0500, Daniel Frazier wrote:
>
>>Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>

>>>We don't support upgrading from 4.0 to earlier than yesterday's 4.5-STABLE.
>>>

>>I was upgrading to yesterday's 4-STABLE.  The second time I cvsup'd was
>>around 1500 GMT and I used RELENG_4 in my supfile.  Sorry, thought I had
>>made that clear...
>>

>>>We can't fix bugs in already released software like RELENG_4_1_1_RELEASE.
>>>You should cvsup to RELENG_4.  Don't forget to install the new kernel
>>>before running installworld if DESTDIR=/.
>>>

>>did that too.  Here's the steps I took:
>>
>>1. A while back I installed 4.0-RELEASE and sorta forgot about the box for
>>a while.
>>2. yesterday I cvsup'd using RELENG_4_1_1_RELEASE
>>3. started a make buildworld
>>3. read the post "4.0-RELEASE -> 4.5-STABLE now possible..."
>>4. killed the make buildworld
>>5. cvsup'd using RELENG_4
>>6. make buildworld
>>7. make buildkernel KERNCONF=whatever
>>8. make installworld KERNCONF=whatever
>>

> Hope you actually did ``make installkernel''.  Have you rebooted with
> the new kernel after this point?

that should have been "make installkernel KERNCONF=whatever"...  no, I
did not reboot or drop into single user mode.

>>9. make installworld
>>10. gasped in horror as the make installworld died.
>>
>>Also, while attempting to recover from this I noticed that almost everything
>>in /bin had lost it's ABI type and had to be re-brandelf'd.  Dunno what was
>>up with that...
>>
>>Regardless, I've decided to just nuke /usr/obj and /usr/src and have another
>>go at it.  Hopefully my userland isn't too hosed to get thru it this time.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.