Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:23:56 +0200
From:      Bengt Ahlgren <bengta@sics.se>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS A8N-E hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature always 40C

Nate Lawson <nate@root.org> writes:

> Bengt Ahlgren wrote:
>> Hi!
>> The ACPI thermal zone does not work properly on my ASUS A8N-E (nForce
>> 4 ultra).  It always shows the temp as 40C:
>> I suppose this is no fault of FreeBSD at all, but with the ASL:
>> http://www.sics.se/~bengta/FBSD/a8n-e.asl
>> I am quite clueless when it comes to ASL, but the RTMP method does
>> have a case when it returns the constant 0x0C3C, which I believe
>> evaluates to 40C (/10-273.2).
>> There is also another RTMP method as part of a device "ASOC" which
>> seem to support reading not only CPU temp.  The ASOC device seems to
>> provide access to a lot of MB sensors.
>> I don't have a thermal problem, but it would be nice to have the
>> thermal zone working!  Any clues if it is easy to fix?
>> (The problem seem similar to:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2006-May/002724.html
>> but unlike this post, the _TMP is not a no-op)
>
> THRM has a _TMP method.  It is only active if the lowest bit of SENF
> is set to 1, otherwise it returns 0xB86.  _TMP calls RTMP().  If SSHU
> == 1, it returns a constant 0xc3c.  So SENF must be 0 and SSHU must be
> 0 (or other) for the method to do anything.
>
> You can try commenting out those If statements and seeing if your
> system gets the right temp.  Then we should figure out why we're not
> getting the right values.  You can add a Store(SSHU, Debug) I think to
> get a print of its value.

Commenting out the if on SSHU does indeed make the thermal zone show
the same temp as the third temp value from mbmon.

Where should Store(SSHU, Debug) print?  I don't see anything on the
console.  Do I need to compile acpi with ACPI_DEBUG?  (Just curios - I
don't think I will bother since it now works.)

iasl however complained so I had to force with -f:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler / AML Disassembler version 20041119 [Oct 21 2006]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2004 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 2.0c

a8n-e-hack.asl   461:     Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  2026 -                       ^ Reserved method must return a value (_WA
K)

a8n-e-hack.asl  2779:                 Name (_HID, "_NVRAIDBUS")
Error    1068 -         String must be entirely alphanumeric ^  (_NVRAIDBUS)

a8n-e-hack.asl  3026:                 Method (RVLT, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  2019 -                                  ^ Not all control paths return
a value (RVLT)

a8n-e-hack.asl  3146:                 Method (RTMP, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  2019 -                                  ^ Not all control paths return
a value (RTMP)

a8n-e-hack.asl  3341:                 Method (OCOP, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  2019 -                                  ^ Not all control paths return
a value (OCOP)

a8n-e-hack.asl  4212:                 Method (GCQV, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  2019 -                                  ^ Not all control paths return
a value (GCQV)

ASL Input:  a8n-e-hack.asl - 7252 lines, 213903 bytes, 3003 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 5 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 850 Optimizations

Regards,

Bengt