Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 00:32:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@legend.txdirect.net>
To:        "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@leonardo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Demand dial with IIJ PPP - ANSWER! (LONG)

On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Mike O'Brien wrote:
> pmdemand:
>  set debug phase chat lcp
>  set phone 5551212
>  set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:-\\r-ogin: YouWish word: FatChance"
>  set timeout 600
>  set ifaddr 198.147.97.0/24 198.147.97.1/24
>  add 0 255.255.255.0 HISADDR
                       ^^^^^^^

I hadn't seen this before so I decided to give it a try.
It starts but with the message:

	No Route to Host

After which it will not connect. (cant find it's way I assume)
In my ppp.conf I use:

	add 0 255.255.255.0 204.57.120.3

Where 204.57.120.3 is who I USUALLY link to.  However, on some occasions
I get sent to .12 and ppp swallows this without a hickup.

I had it in my ppp.linkup under

	MYADDR:
	 delete ALL
	 add 0 0 HISADDR

I agree that ppp.linkup may not be needed with demand dialing, matter of
fact I'm not using one at all right now with no ill effects.

Note:

My ISP uses vj-comp to me but allows predictor1 to him.  When ftp'ing
from him on a idle machine I get between 2.2 & 2.5KB/sec on binary or
compressed files.  However if I ftp from him to me I get 2.9KB/sec for
compressed files and 4.7KB/sec on binary files.  I'd really like him to
use predictor1!  I've got mail in and I'm going to see him tomorrow.  (I
want to see how he lost 2 3-4GB drives in 2 weeks :-( )

I also fiddled with the mru setting and found that 1460 and 1500 gave ME
the best throughput.

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net