Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:31:11 +0900
From:      Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@bsdclub.org>
To:        "Jason Francis" <jasonf@citynet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Unicode support

Hi,

"Jason Francis" <jasonf@citynet.net> wrote:
> One of the arguments made by microsoft for switching the Hotmail
> frontend to Windows 2000 was the need for foreign language support.
>
> "Hotmail had the requirement to launch in new markets, and did not want
> to continue to invest in keeping the FreeBSD locale tables up to date
> and other maintenance activities. China and Japan are two important
> growing markets for MSN, so multibyte character sets had to be
> supported. FreeBSD lacked the necessary Unicode support."
>
> I want to know if there is any real merit to these claims, or if it's
> just more marketing drivel from Microsoft.

> Is work being done to bring Unicode support to FreeBSD that will allow
> it to have better support for globalization and foreign languages?

I agree with the idea "Unicode support is important".  But I think
Unicode cannot solve the "multibyte character support" problem.

Is Unicode widely used in Japan ?   The answer is NO.  Microsoft
Windows* users in Japan use SJIS (SJIS is also known as Microsoft
Kanji code) for plain text.  Most of FreeBSD users in Japan
use EUC, SJIS or ISO-2022-JP (also known as JIS code).
ISO-2022-JP is the standard for e-mail.

# For example, I use:
#      EUC for UNIXen (includes *BSD), SJIS for MS Windows,
#      ISO-2022-JP for e-mail.

P.S.
    Unicode support is one of the goal of Citrus project.
    Please see "Policy" section of http://citrus.bsdclub.org/.