Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:02:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   More on 2.2.1 NFS problems....

Just more information on my problems reported earlier:

  1) I can reproduce the hanging file system when mounting from
     HP/UX 9.05 or Sunos 4.1.3

  2) It's not related to "ls" in any particular fashion; after the
     a process reading from an NFS mounted file system hangs other
     processes also hang when they attempt any read, or any access
     at all.

  3) A ps -axl of the hung processes indicates they are waiting in
     "sbwait"

  4) Interestingly enough; I installed this machine via NFS, so whatever
     mount_nfs options sysinstall used were reliable enough to load
     a binary and XFree86 distribution.

  5) This is on an ep0 ethernet device (that could matter) - but other
     network traffic works (i.e. ping, ftp, telnet, etc...)

  6) I dropped the read and write packet sizes to 1024 (-r1024 and
     -w1024 on the fstab lines) - that didn't help the problem.  An
     example line from /etc/fstab is:

       jarryd.unx.sas.com:/local/disk3 /nfs/jarryd.unx.sas.com/local/disk3     nfs rw,-w1024,-r1024,-t60 0 0

  7) Again, this is 2.2.1-RELEASE as of 4/8/97, downloaded from freefall.

	- Dave Rivers -