Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:42:56 +0300
From:      Dmitry Sivachenko <demon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libsml2 & libxslt config files location

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 08:22:05PM +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
> Dmitry,
>
> Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >Why libxml2 and libxslt ports install xml2Conf.sh and xsltConf.sh files in
> >$PREFIX/etc?  /etc directory is for files which user is supposed to edit
> >to adjust program behaviour.  These files does not contain anything to
> >edit.  Probably they should be install either in $PREFIX/bin or
> >$PREFIX/share/... ?
> >
> >What do people think?
> >
> I think your current assumption of /etc directory purpose is wrong.
> It's personal port preference to install these files info confexecdir. On
> Linux this usually lib/ but on FreeBSD we have different policy and etc/
> looks like apropriate place. In short I do not see any hier(7) violation
> here.

Well, I do not talk about any hier(7) violation here.

The situation is as follows:  we have several chroot's sharing common
/usr/, except /usr/local/etc, which holds custom config files.  All these files
satisfy the following statement:
We can update corresponding packages without touching files in /usr/local/etc.

These two files are the only exception: they cantain hardcoded version number of
libxml2 and libxslt.

It would be really nice to move them to some other place.
Since their purpose matches gtk12-config closely, I propose /usr/local/bin for
them.