Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 07:31:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        mark@quickweb.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: userland PPP giving weird load numbers

Sean Kelly wrote:

> Mark Mayo wrote:
>
> > the ppp process causes the high load (which isn't real, BTW). Top shows it
> > as not doing a thing. As soon as I kill ppp off, the load drops right back
> > down.
>
> I see this too all the time, from 2.0.5 all the way to 2.1.5.  While
> /usr/sbin/ppp is running, the load average hangs around 1.0.  Sometimes,
> it'll drop.  It's odd ... it's usually when ppp is idle that it hangs
> around 1.0.

I had this phenomenon too - but NOT with ppp. An isdn userland daemon i am
working on showed this exact behaviour; when it was running, the system load
was constantly 1.0 or very nearby. This all is under 2.1.5 (and 2.1 too).
The process wasn't doing anything (or very little).

My impression is that there is something wrong in the kernel, not in the
applications.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                    Hamburg, Europe