Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 06:17:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        mbendiks@eunet.no (Marius Bendiksen), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas concerning fsck

> > > Doing anything at all before you know you can trust your root
> > > partition (where fsck itself is stored) is not a very good idea.
> > And using /etc/fstab, stored on the same partition, is a better idea?
>
> No. However, we can't get around the need for fstab, but we can get
> around the need for some kind of fscktab which contains static
> information which practically noone will ever need to change.

Frankly, the file system type can be determined from the magic
number, and the mount point determined from the "last mounted on"
field, for most FS types.

Which basically means that there's no need for a /etc/fstab at
all, for anything other than CDROMs, or DOS FSs.

Passes and "noauto" could be handled via tunefs and a one byte
flags field on the FS itself.

Just so you know where going down this path in its entirety is
likely to lead you...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---