Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2015 02:18:42 +0000
From:      "araujo (Marcelo Araujo)" <phabric-noreply@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Differential] [Commented On] D2690: In ypbind, eliminate error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

araujo added a comment.

Yes, I have addressed @dim's comment already.

> Also, removing the type-alias punned warnings is trickier than the other types

>  of fixes that we have done to clean up the code.

>  For this change, I would feel more comfortable if we actually tested ypbind with this code change.

> I know, this is a headcahe. :(

>  But still, we have to do the right thing.

I would prefer make it in two steps, first fix the CLANG issues with this patch, I will make the tests and report to you as soon as I get the results. You are right and we must do it.

> Regarding importing ypbind from OpenBSD.  I think this is a good idea, because it looks like they more actively maintain the code.

>  However, this code in FreeBSD is *old*....almost 17 years old.  Even if we import from OpenBSD, I don't know if

>  there are changes to functionality, command-line options, etc. that will be introduced.

>  This will require testing also.

> It depends on how much interest you have in ypbind. :)

>  I don't have a lot of interest, and was just looking at doing minimal code changes to fix compiler warnings.

> Let me know what approach you want to take.  I will support you.

I don't have too many interest on ypbind, but I do believe to sync it with OpenBSD won't be that hard, but will cost time. I will do it in a second time, first I will check what are the changes and the impact as we are using a very old ypbind.

Thanks for the support, very appreciated, I will start it soon.

REPOSITORY
  rS FreeBSD src repository

REVISION DETAIL
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D2690