Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2012 04:50:22 -0400
From:      David Wimsey <dwimsey@rtsz.com>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gptzfsboot very slow

My file server is configured with zfs root based on =
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror

When booting, after it gets past the BIOS drive C: is disk0 (one line =
for each of the 6 drives as expected) part, drops to a new line and the =
rotating twiddle starts its bit.  At first it moves a long at a almost =
normal looking speed, then it starts only ticking away slowly, maybe =
once or twice a minute.

It appears that its scanning the entire drive or something odd.  Its =
hard to tell if its doing it on all the drives as half of them are on a =
RocketRAID card (configured as JBOD) which doesn't have a LED indicator =
attached to it for showing activity.

There are a total of  6 drives in the machine.

2 drives are SSDs which are sliced up to provide the root mirror vdev, a =
mirrored vdev for the zip if the main pool on the machine and  each =
provide a slice L2ARC.  Some of the remaining space is in a small pool=20=

3 of the HDDs are part of a raidz vdev for my main pool.
The remaining HDD is a hot spare.

If I remove the HDDs from the system and just let the SSDs handle the =
boot, its faster but still far longer than it should be, so when I'm in =
a hurry I unplug the 4 HDDs, boot, wait for it to get to the FreeBSD =
boot menu, plug the HDDs back in and send it on its marry way.

This can not be expected behavior in my mind.  Why is it doing so much =
disk thrashing when the pools are all perfectly clean.=