Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:59:28 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Relocating ~/.xsession-errors

* Polytropon:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:02:19 +0000 (UTC), Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
> wrote:
>> I'd like to relocate this file to a tmpfs ramdisk,
>> if possible.
>
> Have you tried using a symlink? I'm not sure if this will
> work across partitions...

Symlinks work across partitions, but the problem is that symlinks (or
hardlinks for that matter..) won't work here. GDM is responsible for setting
up the redirection, and before doing so it moves the existing .xsession-errors
to .xsession-errors.old. This is intentional, so in case of a suddenly
terminating X session the old logging of the previous session is still
available.

This means that the (symbolic) link will just end up being moved to
.xsession-errors.old, thus defeating the purpose.

>> Does anyone know an alternate way to move this logfile, or if everything
>> else fails how to silence it?
>
> Symlink to /dev/null? :-)

Alas :)

Thanks for thinking along with me.