Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:20:23 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca, Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        "Marcus Reid" <marcus@blazingdot.com>, "Mike Hogsett" <hogsett@csl.sri.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Stability

At 11:16 AM 1.4.2003 -0500, David Magda wrote:
>Mark <admin@asarian-host.net> writes:
>
>> What is it that makes people rave about the longest uptime? To me, this is
>> just a list of sites whose admins have neglected to perform the necessary
>> upgrade-maintenances, seemingly for almost three years even. To me, this is
>> just a list of potentially vulnerable sites.
>
>You can go into single user mode ('shutdown now'), and have all the
>services stop. Then update them when necessary and do a '^D' to go
>back into single user mode. This will not reset the uptime counter.
>
>You would be stuck using an old kernel- and user-land however. If
>there is only one open port to the outside world, and you make sure
>that program is secure then it should not be a problem.
>
>--
>David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>

Seems like a lot of trouble just to maintain "bragging rights" about
uptime, only to have a "hobbled" system that is not really up to date.
That's not quite "up" IMHO.

Moreover, the uptimes are really great insasmuch as I already have comfort
in knowing I have a very stable, reliable system with FBSD and don't need
to bragg instead that I haven't had a "crash" in more than 10 days. I won't
mention any OS names though that have that habit as a courtesy.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net