Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:28:22 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2-ALPHA is now available.

In  <199611140512.VAA21121@GndRsh.aac.dev.com> , you wrote:

> > DEC DC21040, DC21041, or DC21140 based NICs (SMC Etherpower 8432T, DE245, etc)
>
> I know of _no_ current production DC21140 card that will work with
> the if_de.c driver.  SMC has discontiued the SMC9332DST, and makeing
> the SMC9332BDT work requires hacking the driver.  This is also true
> of the D-Link DFE-500TX, Kingston KNE100TX, and the Compex board.

The DE500-AA will work (there's a one line fix needed to correct
full-duplex negotiation).

> Basically all of the vendors are converting to the new PHY interface,
> and the driver just doesn't seem to cope with this fact without hacking
> it up.

I do have a de driver that does deal with PHY chips.  It's just not
stable enough for release.  The other problem is that FreeBSD is too
limited in controlling the device.  I have 3 bits (IFF_LINK*) to play
with and that's just not enough anymore.  I need to select media and
control full-duplex and autonegotiation.  The BSDI if_media proproal
does that well but there's nothing similar for FreeBSD/NetBSD.

The driver works with the DE500-XA. DE500-AA, SMC 9332DST, Cogent EM110-TX,
SMC 9332BDT, ZNYX ZX342, and most 21040 and 21041 cards (The Compex 21041
card being the exception; I still haven't figured out why it doesn't work).
After 2.2-ALPHA finishes copying, I'll install it and make sure my current
driver works with it.  If you'd like to test it out, send me mail but
remember I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet (primarily due to
the problem of media selection).
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message