Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports-current/packages-current discontinued

Hi all,

As I have mentioned in several places, I am now going to officially
discontinue support of FreeBSD-current by the ports tree.  The ports
tree will now support FreeBSD-stable (the "2.2 branch").

As you know, the ports tree has always supported -current.  Why change
it now?  Note that the "ports support -current" used to mean "ports
support the next release" or "ports support the tree that is to become
the next release, so we will have packages all built and ready when
the release is made".  It was true three years ago, when there was
only one development tree (-current) that would become the next
release.  However, since then the tree was branched, the ports team
has always been sandwiched between the need to support both -current
and -stable.

When the tree was initially branched, the promise was that the
2.1-stable branch was going to be short-lived and will only have one
release, so we will just ship ports/packages from the previous CDROM.
They will be only a few months old, and we'll move onto 2.2.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen, the 2.1-stable tree lingered for
almost two years until 2.2 was finally released (or 15 months since
the 2.1 release), without getting any new support for ports.  And we
heard no end of it from the users, who upgraded from 2.1 to 2.1.5 and
then 2.1.7 and still found the old moldy ports/packages in there.  Or
those who cvsup'd the ports tree and found that many things don't
build on their system.

Learning from that experience, we have tried to keep the ports tree
compile both on 3.0-current and 2.2-stable when those two were
branched.  Many man-hours have gone into the tree for this effort, and
we have succeeded to get it to work for more than half a year, despite
some extensive changes in 3.0-current (like Garrett's network header
updates).

I have also provided a package containing the minimal set of utilities
(the "2.2-stable upgrade kit") for 2.2.1R and 2.2.2R users so they can
use the latest ports without even tracking 2.2-stable.  Another thing
I have done was to merge necessary changes from 3.0-current to
2.2-stable (e.g., install-info) to make the two systems reasonably
close to each other.

However, the recent rash of commits to the 3.0 branch without regards
of consistency and compatibility with 2.2-stable made it necessary to
make a decision.  Also, it is often the case that -current doesn't
even compile, which made it difficult for me to maintain a reasonable
build machine.

As we will have (at least) one more release from the 2.2-stable
branch, it doesn't really make sense for us to follow the circus going
on in 3.0-current now.  We will make sure everything compiles and
works in 2.2-stable, so when the next release comes out, we'll have a
functional set of packgaes.  (Also, people following -current are
generally more capable of building stuff themselves. :)

Note that the above doesn't mean we are not going to discontinue "#if
__FreeBSD_version > ..." style of patches -- compatible porting in
that manner has always been encouraged, and will continue to be so.
(That will make it easier when we move over to that branch.)  It just
means that when it becomes impossible to support both branches without
severe loads to our already scarce manpower and/or disgusting hacks,
we will choose to support -stable.

As many you have undoubtedly noticed, I am in the process of building
packages for 2.2-stable and copying them to ftp.freebsd.org's new
packages-stable directory.  I will also move the ports tree on the ftp
site from under "FreeBSD-current" to somewhere else to avoid
confusion, and remove the "ports-current" symbolic link.  The
packages-current directory will eventually be deleted too (unless some
kind soul steps forward to build them for me).

This is truly a sad day.  The irony of this all is that it really
didn't have to happen, and it would have been possible for us to
support both 3.0-current and 2.2-stable if more consideration has been
made before some commits into -current.  For instance, there is no
reason why tcl-8.0beta2 had to go into the tree now, whether the tree
is called -current or not.  It is dubbed BETA of all things on the
master site, and we haven't even had it in our ports area to test it.
As some people have noted, there is no matching tk version in our
ports tree either.  The latest incident just reinforces my belief that
it was a mistake in the first place to include something like tcl in
the base distribution (note that it was also done without consensus
back then), and one we may regret for a long time to come.

Yours truly,
Satoshi and the awesome Ports Team