Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 13:58:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and celerons?

Gregory Sutter wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 03:04:54PM +0000, Mark Turpin wrote:
 > > On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Alexander Langer wrote:
 > > > Yes, but they work with such a slot1 adapter which helps the Celeron
 > > > by doing the required stuff (afaik)
 > >
 > > 	The celerons have the necessary pins to support multi-processing,
 > > but intel lists them as reserved in the data sheets.  I do know that MSI
 > > (MicroStar) has released a PPGA->Slot1 converter with a jumper that
 > > connects the pins.  All you have to do is use two PPGA celerons and two of
 > > these converters and it works.   There is some more information
 > > available(part numbers and a picture) at http://www.cpu-central.com/
 >
 > An acquaintance of mine who is a former member of the Celeron
 > development team said that the Celerons can do SMP, but there is a bug
 > that couldn't be fixed (in the time they had, without breaking other
 > test cycles), so they shouldn't be trusted for that.  I have no further
 > details on the bug at this time.

Please excuse me, but I'm inclined to believe that that claim
is a typical marketing statement of intel, and not the truth.
It's not a secret that intel tries to make their customers
believe that the Celeron is inferior and more low-end than it
actually is -- after all, they want to sell Pentium-IIs, too.

According to intel, the Celeron is only half as good as the
Pentium-II.  But in reality, it is almost as good, and for many
applications you simply cannot see any difference at all.
See the articles and reviews at www.{cpu-central,tomshardware,
bxboards,stormlabs,...}.com.  Even the difference in the FSB
clock (66 vs 100 MHz) doesn't make that much of a difference
in performance, as intel would like us to believe.

The Celeron is based on exactly the same core as the Pentium-II
(the only difference being that it has 128 Kb L2-cache on-die,
except for the -300 and older models, and only 66 Mhz FSB).
So if the Celeron had a bug in its SMP support, the same bug
should be present in regular Pentium-II processors.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)