Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:30:09 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Perret Cantoni <perretcantonim@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: address dependent code?

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 19:11 -0300, Mat=EDas Perret Cantoni wrote:
> Hello! I've found that for compiling ubldr I need to specify the addres=
> where it will be loaded and executed, and I'd like to know more about t=
his.
> It's the first time I find that I need to specify a physical address on
> compile time.
>=20
> I'm sure it's kind of a whole specific programming field, so can you po=
int
> out some material that I can read about this? Any info about this will =
be
> appreciated!
>=20
> Thanks in advance.
>=20
> Regards, Matias.

The kernel also needs to be compiled to load at a specific address, but
you don't have to set it manually because it's hard-coded in the
std.soctype file for each chip.  In the case of ubldr, it's because
u-boot doesn't know how to do relocation, it can only load an image that
is pre-linked to run at a fixed address.  ubldr isn't built along with
the kernel, so there's nowhere to configure the load address on a
per-system basis, it has to be provided manually.

-- Ian