Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:08:29 -0800
From:      Kingson Gunawan <kingson@excite.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help needed with DPT card + Asus M/B

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> On 25-Feb-98 Tom wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Kingson Gunawan wrote:
> >
> >> Does anybody successfully run the DPT SmartRaid4 (PW-3334UW) with ASUS
> >> P2L97-DS?  This combination keeps failing me...
> >>
> >> Detail:
> >> Asus P2L97-DS dual PII-300
> >> 512MB SDRAM
> >> Intel EtherExpress 100B
> >> SB16-Vibra
> >> Matrox Millenium 2MB/VRAM
> >>
> >> Kernel: 3.0-980211-SNAP compiles with dpt0.
> >>
> >> Error message:
> >>
> >> dpt 0: xxx Lost Interrupts Recovered
> >
> >   Check IRQ settings.  Is anything else on the same IRQ as the DPT
> > controller?
>
> That is not it.  Unless some other driver is stealing the PCI interrupt
> (which I do not know how to do with PCI).
>
> The message comes from the fact that I see the controller status register
> indicating an interrupt posted, but no interrupt delivered by the O/S for a
> whole second.  There is a bit of race condition ther, so, once or twice a
> day is normal (Yes, I'll fix it ;-).
>
> What Kinkston is seeing is a total failure to boot.
>
> Wait!  Try to disable caches on the board.  Completely.  It will run like a
> pig, but let's see if it is/not a cache coherency problem.
>

> > Tom

Simon, Tom,
I tried the following without any success:

1.  Disabling both L? caches
2.  Disabling anything in the BIOS such as PS/2 mouse function, etc.
3.  Assigning specific IRQ in the BIOS to my ISA card (although it is a
PnP SB16 card).
4.  Removing all cards other than the DPT and video card.
5.  Moving DPT around to different slots.
6.  Changing the m/b with another unit of the same made and model.
7.  Compile the kernel with a number of DPT options on/off.

DPT and Asus board simply won't cooperate.  Changing the m/b to Air
P6KDI makes things work instantly.  I think I am about to incinerate the

The wierd thing is that using the DPT freebsd boot floopy from sandero,
it did successfully boot up the system.

Kingson