Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:41:03 +0000
From:      Priyadarshan <bsd@bontempi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS performance help sought

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, at 23:37, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 01/21/16 23:05, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 09:42:48PM -0553, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> >
> >> What version of Linux, if you don't mind ? TIA & have a good one.
> > Linux 3.10, with ZoL 0.6.5.3. The distribution was Slackware, but if I bounce
> > back that way it'll very likely be to Ubuntu. But maybe we'll have some luck
> > on this side and my motivation to switch will go away. That's my hope anyway.
> >

> Agreed. I was surprised to hear of good luck w/ ZFS/linux & problems
> under FreeBSD, I had always heard that ZFS was *MUCH* dicier w/ linux
> than with FreeBSD .... Good luck, I got good help here setting up a
> simpler (& functioning well) ZFS system a few months ago.

Interestingly, we have moved one of our machines in the opposite
direction, from Linux 4.2/ZoL 0.6.5.4 to FreeBSD 10.2, because a 12 TB
pool under Linux/ZoL was consistently reporting errors every few weeks.

The exact same hardware with FreeBSD 10.2 has not been reporting such
errors.

In our case, drives are all WD RED 6TB.

Priyadarshan