Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:24:26 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update vmware port: testers required

At 7:36 PM -0400 6/28/00, Vladimir N. Silyaev wrote:
>New bridging code for vmnet driver have to be work at 4.0-Release.
>But I want some assistance to test that code.
>
>So just grab port file from the next url and install it.
>http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/files/vmware.tar.gz
>
>To be able to load vmnet with bridging support you _must_ to have
>a kernel compiled with BRIDGE options (see LINT for the details).

When installing this, it asked me what addresses I wanted for my
private network.  I went with whatever it came up with by default.

Networking for my guest OS does seem to be working right, as near
as I can tell in a little bit of testing.

I notice that in my host-OS (ie, the freebsd which I am running
vmware from), if I send a message then sendmail comes back with
the warning:
     gethostbyaddr(192.168.254.1) failed: 1
The message being sent at the time does get delivered correctly,
but I am just wondering about the warning message.

I do not have much experience with bridging issues.  I added a
dummy hostname (in a dummy domain) for that IP address in my
/etc/hosts file.  Is that a reasonable thing to do?  Is there
any reason for me to care about this warning?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute