Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:26:17 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium bug (really)

On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 12:02:38PM -0500, Jerry Hicks wrote:
> Christopher Masto wrote:
> >
> > I either joined this mailing list too late or joined the wrong mailing
> > lists.  Since I'm in charge of an ISP that provides shell accounts, I
> > am on the brink of making a rather important decision.  I am pretty
> > sick of Intel, so replacing our P166s with K6s is somewhat attractive.
> > Still, BSDI claims that Intel has helped them to develop a workaround
> > (which they're not at liberty to explain in detail).  Even if Intel
> > isn't being cooperative with the free software community, it is
> > plausible that "a workaround exists" implies "someone will find it and
> > publish it".
> >
> > Of course, this is all moot if I missed the announcement that FreeBSD
> > already has the same fix.  Anyway, the big question is.. does it or
> > might it in the near future?
>
> Seems to me they would have to examine the executable for the pattern in
> question before executing it...
>
> A malicious person could subvert that quite easily, right?
>
> Skeptical,
>
> Jerry Hicks
> jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com

The fact is that they have a workaround.  The bug is bizzare, the
workaround may be just as bizzare - perhaps the failure doesn't occur
given certain register settings that don't affect anything else.. I
don't know, and I'm not particularly interested in speculating on how
it works.  I would consider getting the patch and disassembling it,
but at this time I'd rather not paint myself into a legal corner.
--
= Christopher Masto        = chris@netmonger.net = http://www.netmonger.net/  =
= NetMonger Communications = finger for  PGP key = $19.95/mo unlimited access =

v---(cut here)---v
    --
    yourname@some.dumb.host.com
    "Keep in mind that anything Kibo says makes a great sig."  -- Kibo