Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 17:46:44 +0000 ()
From:      Brian Tao <taob@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems - VM bug?

On Sun, 26 Mar 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> But i've reported them earlier, they seem to be related to heavy
> NFS server activity.

    NFS *server* and not *client* related problems?  For the first
time since I started on FreeBSD, my machine locked up hard.  No
Ctrl-Alt-Del, no pings, nothing.  I was in single-user mode and X
wasn't running at the time.  I had the Taiwan FreeBSD mirror NFS
mounted and a file system from another FreeBSD box mounted.  The hang
occurred in the middle of tarring the 2.0-950322-SNAP directory to a
remotely mounted 8mm tape drive, about 13 megabytes in (near the end
of the bindist).  Time for a power cycle.  :(

    I tried reproducing it, but it never showed up again.  Doing dummy
tars to /dev/null using files mounted from the other FreeBSD box at
the same time as the tar from the mirror site when without a hitch on
subsequent attempts.  For reference, the mirror site runs NetBSD 1.0
and is located at the other end of a T1.  The two FreeBSD machines are
located on the same Ethernet as one of our SGI Indigo's (the host of
the tape drive).

    I suppose I shouldn't complain because I was able to successfully
transfer the 32 megs of the snapshot to tape four times, but it
bothers me when the system locks up like this for no apparent reason.
Has anyone characterised this bug, or should I attribute it to a stray
cosmic ray hitting my system?  :)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org