Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derek White <derek@dereks.net>
To:        "Xu, Xiang" <bigiintl@lobo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Connection

Xiang Xu wrote:

> Has anyone setup a FreeBSD Internet server with cable modem connection?
> I will have a cable modem connection soon. Please give me some advice on
> how to set it up.
> Thanks.
>
> -Xiang

(PS: freeBSD-hackers isn't the best place to post this kind of question -
try freebBSD-questions if freeBSD-isp doesn't help.)
(And I'm not on freeBSD-isp, so I won't hear responses there.)

A cable modem is essentially like any other router.  You get an ethernet
port on the cable modem to which you connect your freeBSD box.  You also
get an IP address (usually only one) for your computer.

It would be the same if you were connecting to an ISDN router or a Cisco
router to a Frame Relay or T1 line.

One thing to consider is that I believe there are service agreements that
say you can't run a 'server' from the cable modem, so if you plan to use
this as a web server you might want to check the service agreement
thouroghly.

Derek (at) dereks.net