Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:29:21 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Cc:        Andrew Moran <amoran@forsythia.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSd when using a zfs-only installation?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn@stonehenge.com>wrote:

> Andrew> I switched my system over to using a ZFS on root setup in 8.1.
> Andrew> I want to upgrade it to 8.2.
>
> Andrew> Is there any changes to the
> Andrew> buildworld/buildkernel/installworld/installkernel/mergemaster
> Andrew> routine?
>
> And for those of us using the binary upgrade, do I need to follow
>
>  http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=94557&postcount=19
>
> still?  Or do nothing?  Or do something else?

Well those are his modified upgrade instructions, they seem relatively sound
but the extra steps aren't required.  The gpart stuff is to update the boot
loader which is only necessary if you upgrade the file system or pool eg
zfs/zpool upgrade.  You should probably run this just to prevent potential
severe pain later.

And as it's said, the nextboot is there because he's running a custom kernel
and wants to boot into GENERIC next time then later rebuilds his custom
kernel.

The short story is if you are running GENERIC anyway, a standard binary
upgrade would work fine, but if you have taken a divergent path you'll have
to account for those differences in your upgrade process.

--
Adam Vande More