Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:40:50 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts no longer used for rexec() ?

% more /etc/host.conf
# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Default is to use the nameserver first
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

I guess it is a bug in somewhere I do not know. ping and telnet work well
under such circumstance.
However, rsh, rcp, rlogin etc. do NOT work if DNS is not reachable. It may be
the rexec() 's problem. I am sure they tried to talk to DNS even though my
/etc/host.conf is correct. The tcpdump shows that these program try to talk
to DNS regardless the /etc/hosts and /etc/host.conf. So, I changed the Subject.

-Jin

} Look into /etc/host.conf
} Word 'hosts' must appear BEFORE 'bind' in this file
}