Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:52:00 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with packages, and general third party software.

In message <21685.812106797@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>I think that packages have to come with smarter installation scripts is
>all.  I'd originally envisioned things that way, but it appears that
>very few people really use the install scripts for more than whapping
>perms and asking simplistic questions.

AMANDA can be a lot smarter (as the porter, I am well aware that it is
not the best possible use of pkg_add), but amanda can not be installed
without a lot of config file editing anyhow (disk lists, tape configs,
etc). Adding stuff to /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf is something
I'd rather leave to the end user as they are really site-specific
(especially with AMANDA where the port number is not assigned but
chosen by the site admin)

Sure, a quick /bin/sh script could do it, but I don't think I want to
do that level of config file munging. If nothing else, I got a call
from someone yesterday who had re-run sysinstall to try and write out
bteasy again (they had had to re-install Win95 after it had eaten
itself), and ended up with an /etc which (to quote them):

had a junk /etc/services (it only had ftp in it), and most of the
perms were wrong.

This sort of stuff makes me want to leave /etc WELL ALONE.

Gary