Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 21:40:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        alexandr@louie.udel.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCVT Help

>From the keyboard of casparc!ee.udel.edu!eecis.udel.edu!louie.udel.edu!louie.udel.edu!alexandr:

> :The kernel messages are my personal preference and can be changed in newer
> :pcvt's by specifying COLOR_KERNEL_FG, COLOR_KERNEL_BG and/or MONO_KERNEL_FG
> :and MONO_KERNEL_BG - have a look at the very end of pcvt_conf.h - i don't
> :recall if the pcvt in 2.0.5 already does this, if not get yourself pcvt
> :release 3.32.
>
> Okay, but how do I set the colors for bold, underline, blinking,
> etc... characters?  Should I do this in the source code, or is there a
> way to do it by sending the escape sequences to the terminal?

Both. You can change the tables in pcvt: they are located in pcvt_hdr.h
and are called sgr_tab_color[] for color displays, sgr_tab_mono[] for
monochrome displays and sgr_tab_imono[] for monochrome MDA and Hercules
displays which have the intensity bit (but no fontloading memory).
Or you can change it by sending escape sequences, but you first have to
recompile pcvt using an option and second you have to find out the syntax
of the sequences (or ask Bruce Evans) as i wrote in an earlier mail:

  > I would also prefer not to have to fool with scon -p all the time to
  > set some of the basic colors.  What I wondering is if there's any
  > documentation on how to set the color in the source code or with an
  > `options' statement in the kernel config file?

  See above. There is also a escape sequence available to change the colour
  assignments at runtime if pcvt was compiled with option PCVT_SETCOLOR,
  if you cannot find out the syntax of the sequences enabled by this by looking
  at pcvt_out.c, you'll have to ask Bruce Evans - i included it in ancient
  times because he requested it :-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe