Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nameserver question

I got the following question from the hostmaster of my ISP, and I don't
know the answer; I'm running stock named, and as far as I know, you
don't have to do anything special to get it to return address records
to go with the NS records --- I don't have anything different for the
satisfied.apocalypse.org record.  I'm guessing that one of two things
is happening:

1.  nslookup isn't bothering to display the record, since it printed out
    the server/address at the start.  This doesn't seem very likely, as
    it's just dumping out what it gets.

2.  named isn't bothering to return the address record for itself, since
    you obviously have the ip address already.  I think this is a bug,
    if that's the case, because you may have the ip address, but you don't
    necessarily have the name, and thus don't know that you have the ip
    address for ns.rdrop.com.

It doesn't seem too serious as things are working, but I thought I'd ask...

--
Alan Batie                   ______      We're Starfleet officers:
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Weird is part of the job.

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.