Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:10:40 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <rileyj@tgci.com>
To:        Gang-Ryung Uh <uh@NU.cs.fsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Window NT 4.0

> From:          Gang-Ryung Uh <uh@NU.cs.fsu.edu>

I'm cc'ing questions in case I'm in error...

>>   From:          "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@tgci.com>
> > You didn't say, but if you're using a FAT filesystem,

snip

> > ASFAIK, Partition Magic is the only fdisk type utility that will allow you
> > to repartition and shrink an NTFS disk.   Since it also changes the
> > cluster size you can avoid the problem that fips has.  Personally I
> > like Partition Magic--very nice little utility.
> >

> Hello,
>
>    Now, I have a Laptop with Window NT 4.0.(The filesystem
>    is FAT based). Since I have a diskette Partition Magic 2.03,
>    I am trying to use it. Here is the scheme in my mind.
>
>    First.)
>      I am going to boot my laptop from A: with DOS 6.22 diskette.
>
>    Second.)
>      I am going to invoke a:\pqmagic
>
>    Third.)
>      I will shrink my 2.1 Gig disk (c:) (type is FAT) into
>      1 Gig.
>
>    If you allow me, then I would like to ask you a question.
>
>    If my scheme is ok for repartitioning, then
>    can FreeBSD installation process recognize and label the
>    unused portion 1.1 G for the freebsd partiton?
>
>    Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Gang-Ryung Uh

I'm not sure.  The reason is that some OSes and some (usually older)
bios'es  require that the boot partition be within the first 1024
cylinders on the disk.  That used to be true for NT, but I think
since 3.51 it hasn't applied.  I believe (and you need to check)
FreeBSD is ok beyond 1024 too.

If the above is correct, then the BIOS would be the only
problem--assuming it's a new notebook you're probably ok.

I think your strategy will work, but would advise you to wait for
another opinion...And in any case backup.  Actually, if it's new and you
don't have any data on it, you could just try it..

Another thing, when you've finished everything, you might as well use
NTFS rather than FAT--it's better.  You can change it on the
fly--there's a command line utility called convert to do it.
(convert /? for syntax).

What brand and model is the notebook?  Are you going to network it?  What
brand ethernet card?  You should probably also get some confirmation
from someone who has the same model(s).

Hope this helps some,

Riley