Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 23:08:02 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Dr Lyman Hazelton <lrh@alum.mit.edu>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>,  "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 658, Issue 4

Indeed, that was the entire problem. =C2=A0Sorry I took a while to get back=
 to you... the power supply on the new machine died in less than 12 hours o=
f operation. =C2=A0It has been replaced and no loss at all. =C2=A0xorg is c=
urrently being installed.
THANK YOU!!
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0-Lyman
=20

    On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:05 AM, Manish Jain <bourne.identity@ho=
tmail.com> wrote:
=20

=20

On 01/11/17 15:56, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> I have purchased the FreeBSD installation DVD from FreeBSD Mall. ?I am in=
stalling on a newer AMD 64 system.
> I have had no issue with getting FreeBSD UNIX up and running on this mach=
ine. ?However, when I try to use either
> pkg install xorg
> or I try to make the port of most anything (like, for example, emacs), th=
e install always fails.
> The fail when attempting to use pkg install happens when pkg install trie=
s to update the catalogue, where it says there is no address record. ?Then =
it says a pkg update is required. Doing a pkg update seems to do nothing an=
d the install fails in all events.
> Trying to install anything using a make install clean in the port directo=
ry appears to die when it can't find pkgconf and, again, says there is no a=
ddress record.
> What am I doing wrong here? ?I have what appears to be a happily working =
FreeBSD UNIX that talks to the Internet just fine and does all the basic th=
ings it's supposed to do. ?I want to get X11 and KDE running on this system=
. ?I finally got a port from?freebsd.kde.org/ports.php to compile and insta=
ll, but I have not been able to install X or anything else (like emacs or p=
kgconf).
> Any wisdom about this, please?

Hi,

As Gary already said, this should be something related to incorrect DNS=20
settings. To confirm, do the following :

ping 8.8.178.110
ping www.freebsd.org

If 1st command works and the 2nd does not, it confirms bad DNS. You can=20
then set things right with :

bsdconfig networking

If you do not have your own DNS settings, use OpenDNS - that is what I=20
use myself. DNS1 =3D 208.67.222.222; DNS2 =3D 208.67.220.220

Regards
Manish Jain

  =20
From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Wed Jan 11 23:18:41 2017
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:18:34 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: spamassassin not lethal anymore
From: "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>,
 "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Wed, January 11, 2017 4:00 pm, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Milter greylist also helps considerably

I'm usually using sqlgrey for greylisting. In addition to that I'm using
amavisd (that harnesses spamassassin, clamav (and/or other anti-viruses, -
yes, I have windows people receiving their mail on our UNIX servers), and
variety of distributed spam signature databases. Also, in postfix
configuration (that we use as MTA) we add some RBLs:

        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
        reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
        reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,

I hope, this helps.